Monday, July 11, 2011

Nothing Good


I know I find myself sarcastically thanking Adam and Eve for the sin they've passed down the family tree. After all, it is their fault we are natural born sinners and have to fight this flesh war day in and day out. That still doesn't make it okay to embrace sin as a natural act and expect God to negate it due to being something we can't control. We can. Sin is never something to be swept under the rug. It is the very thing that separates us and keeps us distant from relationship with Him. I've been trying to trace the apostle Paul and reach his level of spiritual discipline and his depth of understanding sin. He models for us the life of a truly committed servant of God. There is no question where his allegiance was. Granted, our Christian journey is a never ending process and we all begin as babes in Christ, but I'd like to grown into a modern day Paul before I leave this side of life. I'm aware that there are a ton of things I have to change, habits that need to be broken and new ones that need to be learned, but it's time to stop procrastinating. No more waiting for God to lightning shock me into perfection like the movie, 'Weird Science.' The first step is realizing that me, myself and I individually and collectively produce nothing. Nada. When it comes to the things of God I bring nothing to the table but a foul odor to His nostrils.



 14For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
 15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
 16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
 17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
 19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
 20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
 21I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
 22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
 23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
 24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.



No comments:

Post a Comment