Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Birth, Marriage, Then Godly Seed


For those of you who don't know, I'm about 5 months away from officially becoming a father. On Monday my wife and I found out whether we were having a boy or a girl and I can't even put into words the emotion I felt. We were prepared for either but if we were both being honest we were leaning toward expecting a girl. After all, we already had her name picked out and couldn't seem to find a boy name we could both agree on. Everyone thought we were having a girl.


If you were to do a survey on men and asked them if they had a choice of having a boy or girl, most to all would choose boy. We [men] want to have a male heir to "carry the torch" of the family name. We want to show the little guy how to throw a perfect spiral, teach him how to fish, play catch and boy things like that. When I realized we were having a boy there was overwhelming joy. I immediately thought of all the different things we could do together. Then I remembered the most important thing. Besides the fun we can have and the memories we can make, there is one dire necessity in his life. As his parents, God expects us to raise a godly seed. We have the privilege of being trusted to train up a christian child and teach him biblical truth. What kind of hypocrites would we be if we weren't living the same principles we instill in him? There's a real sense of urgency when I pray and ask God to show me any sin in my life. My actions are more intentional. I hold myself more accountable than I ever have. I would love to keep my son from making some of the same mistakes I made and I'm sure every good parent approaches parenthood the same way. My dad always told me he wanted me to be better than him. The best way to teach that to my son is to show him.

No comments:

Post a Comment